CBI probe into Bulandshahar gangrape case ordered
The high court, which had taken suo motu cognizance of the July 29 incident, also said it intends to monitor the investigation into the case.
A Division Bench comprising Chief Justice DB Bhosale and Justice Yashwant Varma passed the order a day after the state government submitted a status report on the investigation into the incident in a sealed cover.
The court directed the state government to produce the FIR lodged in connection with the crime, the rape victims’ medical reports and statements of witnesses by the next date of hearing on August 17.
The incident had taken place when six members of a Noida-based family were travelling to Shahjahanpur in western
Uttar Pradesh. At the national highway passing through Bulandshahr, their car was stopped by criminals who dragged the 13-year-old girl and her mother out and raped them in a field nearby.
Expressing its anguish over the incident, the court also sought to know from the state government what steps it is taking to prevent such incidents in future, while pointing out that the state is duty-bound to ensure safety and security of those who travel on highways in its territory after paying toll tax.
The bench ordered CBI to take the case into its hand and initiate the probe at once. The court also expressed its unhappiness over the slow pace of the investigation of the case saying the authorities did not make any notable progress even after the court had intervened.
The court also observed that despite several such incidents happening earlier on that stretch of highway in Bulandshahar, nothing concrete was done to avert the recurrence. The UP government had already said that if CBI conducts the probe, it will have no objection.