Order not final, will continue Chidambaram boycott: BJP
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Saturday said the CBI special court order declining to make Home Minister P. Chidambaram an accused in the 2G case was not final and it will continue its campaign against him.
“BJP will continue to insist on the accountability of the government both inside and outside parliament. We have ample evidence on how the then finance minister (Chidambaram) overlooked advice of senior bureaucrats in his ministry,” BJP general secretary Ravishankar Prasad told reporters here.
He pointed out that Saturday’s order was just the first step in the litigation process.
“This is the order of the very first court. There are other hierarchy of courts also and Subramanian Swamy has clearly said that he will approach the high court and Supreme Court.
“In the entire 2G matter, the higher courts have often upset the decision of the lower court. We need to look at what the two higher courts will say,” he added.
Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley told reporters that the party will continue its boycott of Chidambaram.
“The recent Supreme Court verdict (of cancellation of 122 2G licences) was an indictment of the government,” he added.
“There is documentary evidence that the pricing (of 2G spectrum) was determined by A. Raja in consultation with Chidambaram,” Prasad added.
The evidence was backed up by the apex court’s decision to cancel the 122 licences, he said. “The government’s lies are now in the public domain,” he added.
The BJP also attacked Communications Minister Kapil Sibal for his “arrogant comments”.
Sibal had said that the charges against Chidambaram were “politically motivated” and the opposition had been going after the home minister’s blood.
“He (Sibal) is the man behind the zero-loss theory. The credibility of the government was finished then and there itself,” Prasad said.
He said the court order cannot change the image of the Congress.
Party leader Balbir K. Punj said the party’s “struggle against corruption in high places will continue”.
He added that he was surprised at the decision of the trial court as it was a “clear clear case of corruption”.