North India Times
North India Breaking political, entertainment and general news

Smashed windows, burnt car and barricades at blast site


Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/northcyp/public_html/wp-content/themes/publisher1/includes/func-review-rating.php on line 212

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/northcyp/public_html/wp-content/themes/publisher1/includes/func-review-rating.php on line 213

New Delhi: Windows and mirrors shattered, its bonnet uprooted, engine burnt black and its colour unrecognizable… the Toyota Innova car of the Israeli embassy was badly damaged in a suspected bomb attack shortly after it left the embassy premises.

The car, with registration number 109 CD 35, was waiting at a red light at the Safdarjung Road-Aurangzeb Road crossing, when a biker drove up, placed an explosive device on it and sped away, according to eyewitnesses. Shortly after, the car went up in flames.

A 42-year-old Israeli staffer, the wife of the defence attache, was badly injured in the blast, and the Indian driver suffered facial injuries. The incident took place just past 3 p.m. and close to the 7, Race Course Road residence of Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

The rear side of the Innova car was badly burnt, and large oil smudges of spilled oil could be seen on the road. A red Tata Indica, driving alongside, also suffered the brunt of the explosion and was damaged. Two of its occupants, both Indians, suffered minor injuries.

The glass from the smashed window panes littered the road.

Commuters driving on Aurangzeb Road were shocked and horrified to see the car go up in flames.

Four other vehicles near the Innova suffered damage in the explosion.

The commuters managed to drag out the victims from the cars.

Delhi Police team, including bomb disposal squad, Central Forensic Science Laboratory (CFSL) team and fire brigade, reached the spot within a few minutes of the incident.

Yellow barricades were put up by police for around 100 metres on Aurangzeb Road near the site of blast.

Around 100 police were present at the site to prevent people getting near. Media persons were there in sizeable numbers.

You might also like

Comments are closed.